The development and re-building of existing premises, to create department stores continued through the 1930s, with additional industrial units built in Mitcham, which incorporated a large dairy and distribution unit, bakery and laundry. Curiously, one RACS store traded north of the river, in North Woolwich, while all other stores and services in the surrounding area were the responsibility of the London Society LCS . garage door remote houston the Woolwich Free Ferry providing an easy transport link, distribution was not difficult and, until 1965, this enclave was even administered by Woolwich Borough Council.
This long association no doubt linked to the period following the Norman Conquest, when this geographical anomaly was considered part of Kent. The war years that followed left five of the Society's stores destroyed and, owing to its prime position on the waterfront, Commonwealth Buildings experienced 20 separate incidents, possibly intended for the giant Siemens Brothers complex next door or the Arsenal nearby. One of the few early RACS stores still in operation is a large wing of the Links branch on Plumstead Common, garage door remote houston opened in December 190 Timpsons began operations nearby in 1913 and this early charabanc is seen about to depart from outside the store shortly after Wolrd War l. To date, I have been unable to discover the chassis builder of this ungainly vehicle, even Mike Sutcliffe was puzzled.
All requests for replacement vehicles during this difficult time had to made to the Ministry of War Transport, which would allocate the few available vehicles at its discretion, but the Society on many occasions found second-hand vehicles to supplement this 'rationing'. The men responsible for the transport fleet were the Transport Manager Dennis Falvey, who we previously met in the RACS coach story, assisted by the Chief Engineer, Mr Aldred. It would appear, however, that new electric milk floats were much easier to obtain. An order for 22 Model B25 chassis with batteries, metal rectifiers and Metropolitan Vickers relays, built by Midland Electric Vehicles of Leamington Spa was placed in September 1 The total cost of this fleet, with a 10% discount, amounted to ?10,308 7s 6d, with the addition of bodies, built in-house at ?145 each, giving a grand total of ?13,408 7s 6d. Details of second-hand purchases recorded include an AEC Monarch Box van, ex-Danish Bacon DBC , for ?400 in February 1944, followed in April by a Fordson 3-tonner at ?495 and Bedford 3-tonner in May for ?650, both for household coal garage door remote houston